The American Legion honors the Eagle Scout of the Year at the national convention with a $10,000 scholarship. The three runners-up get $2,500. Further information is available from department adjutants or the Americanism Division.
THE NOMINEE MUST:
1. Be a registered, active member of a Boy Scout Troop, Varsity Scout Team, or Venturing Crew chartered to an American Legion post, American Legion Auxiliary unit or Sons of The American Legion squadron. OR
2. Be a registered, active member of a chartered Boy Scout Troop, Varsity Scout Team, or Venturing Crew, and the son or grandson of a Legionnaire or Auxiliary member. AND
3. Received the Eagle Scout Award.
4. Be an active member of his religious institution and must have received the appropriate Boy Scout religious emblem.
5. Have demonstrated practical citizenship in church, school, Scouting, and community.
6. Have reached his 15th birthday and be enrolled in high school at the time of selection.
7. Reside in the department (state) to which he applies