How Do I Apply, and What Are the Deadlines?
Eligible students should apply in the following manner:
1) The student must complete and submit the ONLINE application. The 2017 Legacy Awards application deadline is due online by 12:00 p.m. (noon) Central Time on Friday, February 3, 2017.
2) The Elk sponsor's membership will be verified through the BPOE Grand Lodge headquarters.
3) When a student registers to complete the online application, both the applicant and Lodge Secretary will be notified by email.
4) If you have questions about your online Legacy Awards application, contact the ENF Scholarship Office via email at email@example.com.
5) Upon receipt of the application, the applicant will receive a notification that the application was received. Winners will be announced in late April 2017.
6) Note: Because the contest begins in one Lodge year and the winners are announced in the next, a Legacy Award could go to the child or grandchild of a lapsed member. An applicant's Elk parent or grandparent must be a paid-up member in good standing at the time of application, but if the Elk chooses not to renew membership, that decision will not affect the outcome of the Legacy Awards contest.
Who is Eligible?
1) For the 2017 contest, any child or grandchild (or step-child, step-grandchild, or legal ward) of a living Elk who joined the order on or before April 1, 2014, or a charter member of a Lodge that was instituted on or after April 1, 2014, is eligible to apply. The Elk must also be a paid-up member through March 31, 2017. Great-grandchildren are not eligible.
2) The applicant must be a high school senior.
3) The applicant must apply online only. The 2017 Legacy Awards application deadline is 11:59 a.m. Central Time on Friday, February 3, 2017.
4) If the applicant's parent and grandparent are both Elk members, the applicant must apply through the parent's Elks Lodge.
5) Applicants must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT) by December 31, 2016.
6) Students may apply for more than one ENF scholarship; however, they may win only one. In cases where the student qualifies for more than one, we will award the scholarship with the greater value. Students can accept local and state scholarships, which are separate from the awards at the national level.
7) Legacy Awards may only be applied to accredited US American schools, colleges or universities. (Note: Applicants from Guam, Panama, Puerto Rico and the Philippines may apply Legacy Awards toward schools, colleges or universities in their respective homes.)
8) If you are selected as a 2017 Legacy Awards recipient, you will be required to perform service once a year with an Elks Lodge during the four years you are receiving the scholarship. Click here for more information about serving with the Elks.