Computer programmers perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Program animation software to predefined specifications for interactive CDs, DVDs, video game cartridges and internet-based applications
B. Program special effects software for film and video applications
C. Write, modify, integrate and test software code for e-commerce and other Internet applications
D. Assist in the collection and documentation of user's requirements
E. Assist in the development of logical and physical specifications
F. May lead and co-ordinate teams of interactive media developers
G. May research and evaluate a variety of interactive media software products.
H. Write, modify, integrate and test software code
I. Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required
J. Identify and communicate technical problems, processes and solutions
K. Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software
L. Assist in the collection and documentation of user's requirements
M. Assist in the development of logical and physical specifications
N. May lead and co-ordinate teams of computer programmers
O. May research and evaluate a variety of software products.
1. Computer systems design and related services - 41.0%
2. Information and cultural industries - 10.0%
3. Finance and insurance - 8.0%
4. Public administration - 7.0%
5. Wholesale trade - 4.0%
6. Computer and electronic product manufacturing - 4.0%
7. Retail trade - 3.0%
1. A bachelor's degree in computer science or in another discipline with a significant programming component or Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
2. Specialization in programming for engineering and scientific applications requires specific post-secondary study or experience.
3. Almost 2 in 5 have an undergraduate university degree.
3. Computer-related courses
4. Industrial Arts (Electronics)
The average hourly wages for Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers is $26.56/HR, which is close to the average for occupations in the natural and applied sciences and related occupations and close to the average for all professional occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.