Steamfitters and pipefitters perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Remove and replace worn components and reactivate system
B. May prepare cost estimates for clients.
Sprinkler system installers perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Read and interpret drawings, specifications and fire codes to determine layout requirements
B. Install clamps, brackets and hangers to support piping system and sprinkler and fire protection equipment, using hand and power tools
C. Select, measure, cut, ream and thread pipe, install sprinkler heads and mount prepared pipe in supports
D. Join pipes and piping sections using soldering and welding equipment
E. Connect piping system to water mains, supply tanks, pumps, compressors and control equipment
F. Installs valves, alarms and associated equipment
G. Test system for leaks using air or liquid pressure equipment
H. Read and interpret drawings, blueprints and specifications to determine layout requirements
I. Service and repair sprinkler system
J. May prepare cost estimates for clients.
K. Cut openings for pipe in walls, floors and ceilings using hand or power tools or machines
L. Select type and size of pipe required
M. Measure, cut, thread and bend pipe to required shape using hand and power tools
N. Weld, braze, cement, solder and thread joints to join pipes and fabricate sections of piping system
O. Install supports, valves, piping and control systems
P. Test system for leaks using testing equipment
Q. Clean and maintain pipe units and fittings and flush system
1. Construction - 47.0%
2. Paper manufacturing - 8.0%
3. Other services (except public administration) - 4.0%
4. Support activities for mining and oil and gas extraction - 4.0%
5. Oil and gas extraction - 3.0%
6. Primary metal manufacturing - 3.0%
7. Wholesale trade - 3.0%
1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program or A combination of over five years of work experience in the
trade and some high school, college or industry courses in steamfitting, pipefitting or sprinkler system installation is usually
required to be eligible for trade certification.
3. Steamfitter-pipefitter trade certification is compulsory in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia and available, but
voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
4. Sprinkler system installer trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and British Columbia and available, but voluntary, in all
other provinces and territories.
5. Red Seal, an interprovincial trade certification, is also available to qualified steamfitters-pipefitters and sprinkler system
6. Most recent entrants have either a trade/vocational certificate or a community college diploma.
3. Industrial Arts
The average hourly wages for Steamfitters, Pipefitters and Sprinkler System Installers is $23.51/HR, which is above average for occupations in the trades, transport and equipment operators sector and above average for all technical, professional, and skilled occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.