Railway yard workers regulate traffic and couple, uncouple, and switch train cars.
Railway track maintenance workers lay, maintain, and repair tracks.
Water transport deck crew stand watch, and operate/maintain deck equipment.
Engine room crew assist in the operation, maintenance, and repair of engines/equipment on ships/vessels.
Lock operators open and close locks along canal systems.
Cable ferry operators run cable ferries across narrow waterways.
Boat operators run small boats to transport passengers/freight.
1. In general, you usually need some high school education or a high school diploma.
2. You usually receive on-the-job training.
3. You may need experience in your area of work.
4. To be a railway yard worker, you need a specific level of the Certificate of the Canadian Rail Operating Rules.
5. To be a boat operator, you need a Transport Canada certificate.
6. To be an air transport ramp attendant, you usually need a driver's licence and a good driving record.
3. Physical Education
The average hourly wages for Other Transport Equipment Operators and Related Workers is $18.35/HR, which is close to the average for occupations in the trades, transport and equipment operators sector and above average for all intermediate occupations. These wages grew at a below-average rate from 2002 to 2004.