A. Plastics processing machine operators set up and run mixing, calendering, extruding, and moulding machines.
B. Rubber processing assemblers run moulding, laminating, calendering, and extruding machinery/equipment.
C. Rubber processing inspectors examine finished rubber products.
D. Water and waste plant operators monitor and run computerized control systems and related equipment to regulate water treatment and distribution, and the treatment/disposal of sewage and wastes.
E. Chemical plant machine operators blend, mix, process, and package a wide range of specialty chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and cleaning/toiletry products.
1. Plastics and rubber products manufacturing - 54.0%
2. Chemical manufacturing - 19.0%
3. Utilities - 6.0%
4. Wholesale trade - 3.0%
5. Public administration - 2.0%
6. Administrative and support waste management and remediation services - 2.0%
7. Miscellaneous manufacturing - 2.0%
1. In general, you usually need a high school diploma and relevant industry or college courses.
2. You may need on-the-job training and related work experience.
3. Most occupations require training or certification in the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Statistical Process Control System (SPC), and other safety-related programs.
4. To be a plastics moulding process operator, you may need hydraulics, pneumatics, and electronics systems courses.
5. To be a water and waste plant operator, you must have courses in water pollution control and be certified in water distribution or treatment.
6. Many recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 2 in 5 have a trade/vocational certificate.
2. Computer Basics - Word and Excel
4. Machine Shop
The average hourly wages for Machine Operators and Related Workers in Chemical, Plastic and Rubber Processing is $15.77/HR, which is close to the average for occupations in the processing, manufacturing and utilities sector and are close to the average for all intermediate occupations. These wages grew at an above-average rate from 2002 to 2004.