Fishing masters and officers command vessels greater than 100 gross tonnes to catch fish/other marine life. They determine fishing areas, plot courses, and compute navigational positions, steer vessels, and operate navigational instruments to locate catch
Fishing vessel skippers and fishermen/women operate vessels to catch fish/other marine life. They operate gear, direct operations, and supervise crew members. They also estimate operation costs, plan budgets, and establish marketing plans. They may transp
1. In general, you need a commercial fishing licence.
2. To be a fishing master or officer, you usually need some high school education. You must have one to two years' experience as a fishing vessel deckhand and a fishing master's certificate.
3. To be a captain, you also need one year's service as officer in charge of the watch.
4. To be a fishing vessel skipper or fisherman or woman, you usually need several years' experience as a fishing vessel crew member or helper.
5. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.
3. Physical Education
The average hourly wages for Fishing Vessel Masters and Skippers and Fishermen/women is $14.79/HR, which is close to the average for occupations in the primary industry sector and are below average for all technical, professional, and skilled occupations. These wages grew at a below-average rate from 2002 to 2004.