Provides the laboratory experience to accompany an introduction to the study of general biology, starting from basic scientific concepts and progressing to the natural laws that govern life and all living things. The course will provide a combination of hands-on laboratory work and video documentaries.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
1. Conduct hands-on laboratory experiments
2. Demonstrate the proper method of writing up experimental procedures and the results obtained
3. Use models to illustrate points made in lectures
4. Explain biological processes common to life
5. Accurately draw living specimens.
This lab will closely follow the theoretical component of the Introduction to Biology course.
Method of Instruction:
1. Laboratory demonstrations
2. Feedback on drawings
3. Video presentations
Types of Assignments:
1. Research projects and scientific reports as appropriate
2. Scientific drawings of specimens under examination
3. Laboratory experiments
1. Biology: A Guide to the Natural World, 3rd ed. Pearson, 2001