1. To be a retail or wholesale buyer, you need a high school diploma and usually a university degree or college diploma in business, marketing or a related program.
2. You also need previous work experience in a retail or wholesale establishment.
3. You must have supervisory experience to become a supervisor or senior buyer.
4. You may specialize in a particular merchandise line through experience or product-based training courses.
5. With additional experience or training, you may move up the ranks to become a manager.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 2 in 5 have an undergraduate university degree.