1. A bachelor's degree or college diploma in a discipline such as food science, environmental studies, chemistry or health and safety is usually required.
2. In some establishments, several years of related work experience and the completion of in-house training courses may substitute for formal education.
3. Public health inspectors employed outside Quebec require certification with the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.
4. Occupational health and safety officers may require certification with the Association for Canadian Registered Safety Professionals.
5. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree.