1. A bachelor's degree in industrial engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
2. A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
3. Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
4. Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
5. Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
6. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree.