1. Completion of a university, college or other approved registered nursing program is required.
2. Courses in management studies such as the Nursing Unit Administration Course offered by the Canadian Hospital Association or other degree, diploma, certificate or studies in management or administration may be required.
3. Registration as a registered nurse by a provincial or territorial regulatory body or, in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia, provincial registration as a registered psychiatric nurse is required.
4. Clinical experience as a registered nurse is required.
5. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree.