1. A bachelor's degree in education or in a discipline such as social science or business administration is required.
2. A master's degree in education may be required.
3. Specialized training or certification may be required.
4. Several years of experience as a school teacher are usually required.
5. A teacher's certificate for the province of employment is usually required when employed by provincial education ministries.
6. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree and almost 3 in 10 have a graduate degree.