1. Completion of a two- or three-year college program in civil engineering technology or a closely related discipline is usually required for civil engineering technologists.
2. Completion of a one- or two-year college program in civil engineering technology is usually required for civil engineering technicians.
3. Certification in civil engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
4. A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
5. In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body is required to use the title of Professional Technologist.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.