2. On-the-job training may be substituted for formal education.
3. There are various provincial/territorial certification and licensing requirements for barbers, ranging from trade certification to licensing by a provincial/territorial association.
4. Barbers can also obtain inter-provincial trade certification (Red Seal) as qualified hairstylists.
5. Some secondary school education is required.
6. Completion of a two- or three-year hairstyling apprenticeship program or completion of a college or other program in hairstyling combined with on-the-job training is usually required.