1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program or over four years of work experience in the trade and some courses in floor covering installation are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
3. Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and the Northwest Territories.
4. Trade certification for hardwood floor layers is available, but voluntary, in British Columbia.
5. Red Seal, an interprovincial trade certification, is also available to qualified floor covering installers.