1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or Over three years of work experience in the trade is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
3. Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
4. Red Seal, an interprovincial trade certification, is also available to qualified painters and decorators.
5. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.