1. Completion of secondary school may be required.
2. Completion of a college program for forest workers may be required.
3. Formal training in chain saw operation and maintenance and several months of on-the-job training are usually provided.
4. Previous experience as a logging and forestry labourer or logging machine operator may be required. Experience requirements vary depending on the type and location of woodlands operations.
5. Provincial certification or a forest worker program certificate is required in some provinces.
6. Trade certification for fallers is available, but voluntary in Quebec.