1. To work in this field, you must have a post-secondary qualification and you may need certification by the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science.
2. To be a medical laboratory technologist, you need either a bachelor of science or medical laboratory science degree or a two- to three-year college program in medical laboratory technology. You must also have a period of supervised training.
3. To be a medical laboratory technologist, you must be registered by a provincial regulatory body in New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
4. To be a pathologists' assistant, you must have either a bachelor of science degree or training and experience as a registered nurse, registered nursing assistant or medical laboratory technologist. You must also have specialized, on-the-job training.
5. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree.