1. In general, you usually need a high school diploma.
2. To gain trade certification, you usually need either a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over five years' work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in industrial machinery repair or millwrighting.
3. Industrial mechanic trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces/territories.
4. Construction millwright trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Ontario.
5. Qualified industrial mechanics and millwrights may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
6. With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a supervisor.