1. You need a bachelor's degree related to your work and you may also need a graduate degree for many of these positions.
2. You usually need several years' experience in your profession or government experience in specific areas of policy development, research or program administration.
3. To be a manager in health and social policy, you may need a college diploma, rather than a university degree, in your field of work.
4. To be a manager in health policy and program administration, you may need certification in a health profession. For example, city medical officers of health must be physicians.
5. To be a manager in educational policy and program administration, you must have a provincial/territorial teaching certificate.
6. With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a senior manager.