1. You usually need a master's degree in counselling, mental health or a related social service field.
2. In Quebec, you need a master's degree in psychoeducation to practise as a psychoeducator and you must be a member of l'Ordre professionnel des conseillers et conseillères d'orientation du Québec.
3. You must be a member of your provincial/territorial association, meet strict graduate education criteria, and complete supervised clinical work to be allowed to use the titles "Registered Marriage and Family Therapist" or "Registered Clinical Counsellor".
4. For certain areas of counselling, you may need an undergraduate degree or college diploma in social science.
5. You may become specialized in a particular area through training/experience.
6. With additional training/experience, you may move up the ranks to become a social service manager.