1. You usually need a high school diploma.
2. To gain trade certification, you usually need either a three- to five-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years' work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in heavy equipment repair.
3. Heavy-duty equipment mechanic trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces/territories.
4. Farm equipment mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces except Quebec and the territories.
5. Heavy equipment and farm equipment mechanics may obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
6. With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a supervisor.