1. In general, you usually need a high school diploma. In some cases, appropriate experience may replace formal educational requirements.
2. You usually need industry or college courses or supervised on-the-job training/experience in a subordinate position, such as mine labourer or rig crew member.
3. To be an underground production and development miner, you often need company licensing or certification, and you may need a blasting licence in the province/territory where you'll work.
4. To work in an oil and gas occupation, you need first aid, hydrogen-sulphide awareness, blowout prevention, and other safety certificates.
5. You also need a provincial blaster licence, seismic blaster, and oil well blaster certification for well perforation services. You may also need a college diploma in drilling or electronic engineering technology.
6. To be an offshore driller, you need several years' experience in a similar land position.