1. To be a technologist, you need a two- to three-year college program in electrical/electronics engineering technology, computer engineering technology, telecommunications technology, or an equivalent area of study.
2. To be a technician, you need a one- to two-year college program in electrical/electronics engineering technology.
3. You may need certification by a provincial association, which is obtained after two years' supervised work experience.
4. There is mobility among related occupations such as technical sales, electronics service technicians, instrument technicians, and avionics technicians.
5. With experience, you may move up the ranks to be come a manager in engineering, production or operations.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma and almost 3 in 10 have an undergraduate university degree.