1. Depending on your chosen job in this field, you'll have different educational requirements.
2. To be a library clerk, you usually need a high school diploma, and with additional experience and post-secondary education related to library science, you may move up the ranks to a more senior position.
3. To be an advertising clerk, correspondence clerk, editorial assistant, publication clerk or proofreader, you must have a high school diploma. You may need additional courses or a university degree in writing, journalism or a related field, and previous clerical or administrative experience.
4. To be a customer service clerk, information clerk or call centre agent, you usually need to finish high school and have some clerical or sales experience. You may also need some college or other post-secondary education.
5. With experience as an advertising and correspondence clerk, customer service clerk or information clerk, you may move up the ranks to become a supervisor.
6. To be a survey interviewer or statistical clerk, you may need a high school diploma and experience with computers. You usually receive on-the-job training, and you may also need a driver's licence.
7. Many recent entrants have either an undergraduate university degree or a community college diploma.