1. In general, you usually need ability, experience, and technical knowledge of your area of sport.
2. To be an athlete, involves extensive training under a coach's supervision and you may also need certification with a particular sports federation.
3. To be a coach, you usually need to complete the national coaching certificate program and have technical knowledge/experience of the sport. You may need a degree in physical education.
4. To be a sports official, you need certification by and registration with a sport governing body or commission.
5. To be a referee, you must finish an officiating program from a sport-governing body.
6. To be a program leader or instructor, you usually need a high school diploma as well as a college diploma in recreation or physical education, or extensive experience in a specific recreational or sports program. You usually need certificates such as a swimming instructor's certificate for particular recreational activities.