1. You must have a high school diploma and creative ability as demonstrated by a portfolio of your work.
2. You usually need a university degree in visual arts with a specialization in graphic design, commercial art, graphic communications or cartooning, or a college/other program in graphic arts. As an illustrator, you may also need additional training in your area of specialization.
3. You may need experience or training in multimedia design at a college/post-secondary or technical institution.
4. With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a manager or senior designer.
5. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.