1. In general, you need a high school diploma.
2. To be a drafting and design technologist, you usually need to finish a two- to three-year college or technical school program in engineering design/drafting technology or in a related field.
3. To be a drafting technician, you usually need a one- to two-year college program in drafting or have a combination of four to five years' related work experience, plus completion of college or industry courses in drafting.
4. You may need certification in electrical or electronics engineering by a provincial/territorial association, which is obtained after two years' supervised work experience.
5. With additional education or experience, you may specialize in civil, mechanical, electrical or other engineering design technologies.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.