1. To be a cook, you usually must complete high school.
2. You need a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks, or a college or other program in cooking, or several years of commercial cooking experience.
3. Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces/territories.
4. Red Seal, an interprovincial trade certification, is also available to qualified cooks.
5. With additional experience and training, you may move up the ranks to a more senior position, such as chef.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 2 in 5 have a trade/vocational certificate.