1. This is a competitive scholarship, and applicants are evaluated according to academic ability, social awareness, financial need and appreciation of labor. A GPA of 3.0 or higher is recommended.
2. Current and retired members of unions participating in any Union Plus program, their spouses and their dependent children (as defined by IRS regulations). Grandchildren are not eligible unless a legal dependent (as defined by IRS regulations). At least one year of continuous union membership by the applicant, applicant's spouse or parent (if applicant is a dependent). The one year membership minimum must be satisfied by May 31, 2014.
3. Members of participating unions from the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.
4. The applicant must be accepted into a U.S. accredited college or university, community college, technical or trade school at the time the award is issued. Awards must be used for the 2014 - 2015 school year.
5. Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
6. Scholarship applications are judged by a committee of impartial post-secondary educators.